Carrie and Core's Adventure in Sivuqaq

Welcome to Carrie and Core's adventure in Sivuqaq. Sivuqaq "wrung out dry"is the Siberian Yupuk name for St.Lawrence Island. We live in Gambell, on the Northwest cape of Sivuqaq just 35 miles east of Siberia. I hope you enjoy the posts, pictures and comments feeL free to post us a little note. PLease...please...please!

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

One Day in Gambell


Were it not for the following fortuitous events to have taken place in Gambell in what I thought would be just another average day at school, I'm not sure I couldn't have left here thinking "well, I just doesn't get any harrier than this". On a blizzardy Monday morning, April 9, school was just getting in session when word spread that a large polar bear had been shot at the dump at 9 am by local Kenneth Iwoorgin. I pretty much gave up on the idea of Gambell getting polar bears by March as the pack-ice slowly began receeding further north. As soon as school was out, I went to Iwoorgin's house which isn't far from teacher housing to see for myself what the all the fuss was about. No doubt, this was a big animal. It measured nine feet nine inches from tail to nose leading me to beleive I should be able to find some very impressive tracks to match. Getting directions from the hunter, I went north from teacher housing about 1/4 of a mile to the dump and found the bear's skinned carcass and picked up on a nice set of tracks heading north onto the pack ice. It was here I got this picture. It wouldn't be until later that evening however, that the course of this not so ordinary's day's events would reach a very harry conclusion for me! The tracks here measure about eight inches across on the bear's forepaw instep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home